Trump’s threat to eliminate Iran is ‘the epitome of an illegal order,’ Rep. Chrissy Houlahan saysThe president’s social media post was the “epitome of an illegal order,” the Chester County Democrat said.
Washington,
April 7, 2026
Tags:
National Security
Originally published The Philadelphia Inquirer
Written by Sam Janesch President Donald Trump’s threat Tuesday to eliminate the “whole civilization” of Iran unless its leaders capitulate to his demands would be the “epitome of an illegal order” if he were to follow through, said U.S. Rep. Chrissy Houlahan, an Air Force veteran who has been an outspoken critic of Trump on military issues. Houlahan (D., Chester) was among a group of Democrats that Trump targeted in recent months with allegations of sedition for more broadly telling service members to refuse such orders. On Tuesday, she quickly decried Trump’s threat against Iran, describing it as a dire escalation of a conflict in which the president has been unconstrained by Congress. Iran’s civilization, Trump wrote on social media early Tuesday, would “die tonight, never to be brought back again” if Iranian leadership did not agree to a deal. Trump pulled back on his threat to widen attacks to include civilian infrastructure subject to Iran agreeing to a two-week ceasefire and reopening the Strait of Hormuz, the Associated Press reported Tuesday evening. Houlahan said in a statement earlier in the day that the president’s message was “a betrayal of 249 years of American excellence, diplomacy and alliance.” “On the same day that our nation’s brave and patriotic astronauts stare down on our tender and fragile Earth, the President of the United States just unleashed a vile and hateful threat to wipe the ancient civilization of Iran from it,” she said. “In the strongest terms possible, I condemn these despicable words.” Her reference to illegal orders came nearly five months after she and five other Democratic veterans warned of such crimes in a video aimed at active-duty members of the military and intelligence agencies. Trump raged against the video, calling their message “seditious behavior” that was “punishable by death.” The lawmakers soon reported receiving bomb threats to their offices. The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia also pursued a case against the lawmakers, but it was rejected by a grand jury in February. It was unclear what crimes were alleged, Houlahan said at the time. The lawmakers had maintained their original message was not referring to any specific orders. But an order to destroy an entire civilization and bomb every bridge and power plant, as Trump has indicated in recent statements, would rise to the level of illegal military conduct, Houlahan said in an interview. “Those senior most commanders, combatant commanders, in my opinion would have no choice but to view that as being illegal and against the law of war and against all of the things that we’ve all been educated on,” Houlahan said. “They would be in very difficult legal jeopardy.” If the commander-in-chief and military leaders issue such orders, there are also protocols in place for lower-level officers who are executing orders to ensure they are focused on military, not civilian, targets, Houlahan said. Reiterating a point she and other Democratic veterans have been making for months, she said military personnel do not just have the authority to refuse illegal orders, but they are required to do so. “This is just a really, really worrisome time, to be understated about it,” she said. U.S. Sen. Elissa Slotkin (D., Mich.), who was also in the group of Democrats who previously reminded service members to “refuse illegal orders,” said in a statement that “it’s moments like these that are why we made the video to service members last year.” U.S. Rep. Chris Deluzio (D., Allegheny), a Navy veteran who was also part of the group, said in a new video that Trump was now “openly contemplating war crimes.”
|

