Skip to Content

U.S. Passport Service

Pennsylvania state icon
Before visiting a foreign country, you should ensure that all your travel concerns are addressed.

READ: The State Department released this update on September 22.

NOTE: We cannot assist with scheduling passport appointments at local airport facilities due the  limited availability of these appointments.

If you have urgent travel, you can only make an appointment by using Department of State’s Online Passport Appointment System or by calling 1-877-487-2778. 

COVID-19 update: 

  • It may take up to 6 weeks from the day you submit your application until your status is “In Process.” During these 6 weeks, your application is delivered to a mail facility, your payment is processed, and your application is entered into our system. Even if your passport status update says, “Not Available,” your application and supporting documents are safely on their way to us.  

  • The Department of State’s passport call center is experiencing extremely high call volumes with longer-than-usual wait times. You can check your status online using our Online Passport Status System

The Department of State is experiencing delays in processing passport applications. We strongly recommend you apply for your passport at least 4 months prior to your expected travel date.  

Our office offers passport assistance if you meet both of the following criteria:  

  • You have submitted your passport application and paid the processing fees.  

  • You have reached out to us with at least 3 business days of your scheduled travel date.  

Please locate your passport and check the expiration date prior to scheduling your travel plans.  

The following are the processing times for all passport cases: 

  • Routine: 8-11 weeks from moment application is received at Passport Agency or Center.

  • Expedited: 5-7 weeks from moment application is received at Passport Agency or Center.

  • Expedited at Agency: Must have international travel within 72 hours (3 business days)* 

*Limited Appointments 

Here are a few additional common questions my office receives that deal with passports:

How can I renew my existing passport?

If you already have a passport that is not damaged, was issued in the past 15 years, was received after your 16th birthday, and has your same name, you can apply for a passport renewal by mail.

For more information on renewing your passport, visit the Passport Renewal Page at the U.S. Consular Affairs Web Site.

I can't wait for the normal six week processing time for my application. Can I request an expedite?

Yes. For an additional fee, you can request expedited processing which normally takes two weeks.

For more information on expediting processing, visit the Expedited Service Page at the U.S. Consular Affairs Web Site.

If you would like my help with passport issue, please fill out my casework form and my office will get in touch with you.